Monday, March 15, 2010

Random Fact: Why Is It Called Softball?

I was watching my husband play softball and someone in the stands asked "Why is it called softball" Honestly, I had no clue I looked and said " I have no clue, I have played softball growing up in little league, city league, accelerated, high school and co-ed leagues. I have no idea... So I decided to do some research.

"Softball is a team sport commonly played in the United States and other countries. It is a direct descendant of baseball. Some key differences between softball and baseball are that softballs are larger than baseballs, and pitches are thrown underhand rather than overhand. Softball is played on a smaller diamond than in baseball. Although it is called softball, the ball is not at all soft (though it is a bit softer). For a softball field, the average distance from home plate to center field is 220 ft and from home plate to right and left field is about 200 ft. For a baseball field, the average distance from home plate to center is 410 ft and from home plate to right and left field is about 375 feet. Softball was invented by George Hancock in Chicago, Illinois. The first softball game was played using a rolled up boxing glove as a ball and a broomstick as a bat" (Wikipedia, 2010).

Sources:
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/history-of-softball-1.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softball

1 comment:

  1. That still does not tell us why it is called softball.

    ReplyDelete